Monday, June 24, 2013

4th Food Tasting : Hizon's Catering

A background: I have been registering for the Grand food tasting I think 4 times already but I am not getting a confirmation. For the June 22, 2013 food tasting I registered twice and even texted the number posted twice. I got a call last June 21, 2013 and because it was a day before the event the AE that I talked to said the slots were already full and they will just re-invite us on the next food tasting or if we want a private food tasting, It's fine for me since Hizon's is not in the list of my shortlisted caterer and I just want to experience their foods.

As mentioned in my previous post, we are strolling in the fair when Vhanie texted me to go to Pergola (where Hizon's is helding their Food tasting), her AE said we can drop by and have our food tasting too. (lucky us for free lunch)

On to our Food tasting experince (sorry for the long introduction)

First we had Appetizers

Serving size is cute (literally)
Verdict: 
(Left) Crispy Beef Sesame Spring rolls - This is my favorite among the 5 the beef is tasty and blends well with the roll and the little sauce underneath.

(Top) Tomato & Mozzarella Bruschetta - as simple as bread with tomato & cheese nothing fancy here and does not taste good to me.

(Right) Argentinean Cheese Steak Canape - I really do not know what this is, It has a weird taste but it doesn't taste that bad. 

(Bottom) Smoked Tanigue w/ Mango Tarragon Salsa - I did not taste the Tanigue in it. The tomato is overpowering here. 

(Center) Caramelized Onion & Cheese Canape - It took me a while before I taste this, I need to gather a lot of courage because I do not eat onions, but since this one is caramelized I gave it a try and hey! it taste good (but I'll never eat it again-sorry onion hater here)

Soup and Salad were served next

Soups - cutie also

Verdict:

(Left) Cream of Pumpkin soup - This is just so-so for me, not bad but not that great also. Creaminess is okay, I think it needs more pumpkin. There are more delicious Pumpkin soups around. 

(Right) Truffled Cream of Mushroom soup - A better alternative to the usual mushroom soup. I love the consistency of this soup and It taste better than the first one. 

Salads
Verdict:

(Left) Asian Salad with Wanton Crisps - Green salad with vinaigrette dressing topped with wanton crisps. I will be biased but between the 2, I would rather choose this salad, this is the safest choice that I think everyone will like. 

(Right) Grilled Vegetable Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette - From the name itself you'll know why I am biased (lol) I set aside the eggplant and onion, but even by doing so this does not taste good for me.

After the soup and the salad we were told to get the main entrees on the buffet table. I was surprised on the number of entrees served.

Let's start with the Pasta


Verdict:

(Left) Fettuccine with Seafood Cream sauce - I love white sauce & seafood, combine both and add lots of Parmesan cheese oh no! this is LOVE (^_^) enough said, I love this pasta.

(Right) Penne with Puttanesca sauce - I've been overwhelmed with the other sauce so this did not taste as good as the first one but this is also good (don't get me wrong) It's just that I am biased on white sauces.

My Plate (sorry it's a mess)
Verdict: Middle bottom clockwise (starting from the rice)

Crispy Beef Rice - I love it when the rice is not plain, the rice itself is tasty. Imagine Beef Chowfan (but better).

Slow Roasted US beef with Mushroom Gravy - you can also choose the Hickory Smoked Barbecue sauce but I chose Mushroom Gravy. The meat is tender and tasty even without the sauce. I love this

Pork Salpicao with Grilled Vegetable & Mashed Potato - I love the mashed potato and it blends well with the pork. again, I need to set aside the veggie before I ate this. Good.

Beef Tepanyaki - Love this, super tasty and the beef is really tender.

Stir fry Chicken Sambal - I did get the bone part so I am just able to take a bite, The sauce is kindda salty and lacks spice (sorry high tolerance for spicy foods).

Chicken Alexander - I liked this better than the first chicken dish, It's creamy texture blends well with the chicken.

Herb Crusted Fish Fillet with Lemon Butter sauce - you can also have Honey Mustard sauce but I choose this one, I love this. The sauce compliments the saltiness & a bit spice of the fillet.

Baked Fish with cream & Spinach - This is love also. good thing I did not taste the spinach and the cheesy cream is yummy. the fish and the cream really bends well.

Thrice cooked pork belly with Hickory Smoked Barbecue sauce - another sauce that you can try is the mango cilantro salsa. I did not get it because I think I saw onion (lol). Again this is love together with the barbecue sauce. The meat is so tender and flavorful.

After the main entrees they served the Desserts. Bad news for me is Nana and I have to share this plate.. (booo) 

Verdict::
(Bottom Left) Dark Chocolate with Strawberry Mousse - just plain chocolate with mousse. but because they used dark chocolate it complements the sweetness of the strawberry mousse.

(Bottom Right) Vanilla Creme Brulee - This is better than the previous creme brulee that I tasted. consistency is okay and not that sweet. (I loved Vikings creme brulee more)

(Top Left) Mango Pandan Panacotta - The tapioca again gave this dessert a plus factor. the pandan flavor overpowered the mango. This is not that sweet.

(Top Right) Flourless Chocolate cake - It lacks the sweetness I am expecting and the cake is airy maybe because this is flourless. I am a chocolate lover but I can pass on this one.

(Middle) Baked Blueberry Cheesecake - save the best for last (lol!) I have tried so many blueberry cheesecake but Hizon's version is love. I did not expect it to be that good since I was not wowed by the first 4 but this is heavenly. Must have.

Overall, Again I did not expect Hizon's to be that generous during food tasting on the number of entrees served. I was really full after. Another thing is that I did not expect that their food is yummy also. why? Hizon's has been in the wedding industry for such a long time I thought that their food is just ordinary but I am wrong, the reason that they are still in the industry because they served great food. More hits that misses on their main entrees, the rest you have to pick wisely.

Did we get them? No. Nana wants to get them because of the freebies that they offer like Hotel Accommodation, Bridal car etc. but for exactly the same price as KbyC I would rather choose KbyCunanan (okay I am biased). Since Nana liked them okay we will put Hizon's on our shortlisted caterer.




0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com