Friday, June 21, 2013

3rd Food Tasting: Purple Dish Catering

Night of June 15, 2013 we had our food tasting with Chef Velmor of Purple Dish Catering. This is one of my most awaited Food tasting because we are also considering Purple Dish as our caterer. Again we are with our 2 w@wie sister and thanks to sis Nat for the ride (^_^).

Nana while waiting

If you can see the set-up, This is their basic set-up for VIP (I wonder how basic their set-up is for guest table) I think the set-up is too basic for VIP table. It means if we get PD we need to upgrade the styling.

Let's proceed to the Food tasting.

We had 4 appetizer, 1 soup shot and a salad.

Avocado Rolls, Eggplant Parmigiana & Sardine Bruschetta
Verdict: 
Avocado rolls - At first I did not realized that there is avocado inside (though I got 2), maybe they need to put more avocado to this to make this tasty. If not for the server I will not know  this is avocado roll. I am quite disappointed with this because I am expecting this to be good.

Sardine Bruschetta - I do not eat sardine but for the sake of FT I need to eat this, the sardine is okay but I am expecting this to be on the spicy side, the bread is soft.

Eggplant Parmigiana - I got 2 pieces without knowing that this is eggplant, Thanks again to our server for informing me. I do not eat eggplant, I gave Nana the other piece and ate the other one. surprisingly, this taste good you will not notice that this is eggplant unless you take a closer look. Nana loves this. for him, this is his favorite among the 3.

Circulo Tofu (from PD FB page)
I got excited to try this that I forgot to take picture, I love Tofu and this appetizer is really good. Of all served to us that night this is my favorite. the downside, this is on the heavy side I refrain myself to get another piece. This is tofu with sisig on top (yummy right?)

French Onion and Cheese soup
Verdict: I do not eat Onions and I hate everything with onions but gosh, this soup is yummy. I did not taste the onion, creamy and yummy.. Nana & I love this.

Mango Salsa Salad
Verdict: As I have said, I don't like everything with onion, I have to set aside the onions & peppers in  this salad so I can eat this, without those 2 this is really refreshing. I love mango on salad.

After the appetizer, Chef Velmor had a short talk, He discussed the package, the issues and there are question and answer portion. The talk is actually very informative since it will be hard to talk one on one with Chef because there are other couples there.

On to the main entrees.

My Plate
Verdict: Clockwise from lower left

Honey Glazed BBQ Spareribs - yummy! Nana & I love this. the sweetness and the bbq sauce compliment with each other.

Norwegian Salmon - love love love.. The salmon is juicy and with butter lemon sauce super yummy! It may look plain but it's bursting with flavor. I wonder if this dish can be altered and have a cream sauce? but even without sauce, I super love this. Must have.

Prawn Thermidor - another love love love.. This is my weakness Prawn. This is really really good (I swear), If only I am not that full already I would go for another round of prawn. This is a must have.

PolloDiavola (herbed & spicy olive oil) - Maybe I was overwhelmed with the salmon & prawn this became ordinary for me and a bit oily (because of the olive oil) but again this is also good with just the right spice.

Beef & Veggie Lasagna - Another yummy dish, though I have to set aside the veggie (sorry). This is love also.. the only downside (or advantage for couple) this is on the heavy side again. Just a small slice is really filling already. I believe this is the reason why I fell full but yummy.

10-hour Slow Cooked Roast Beef - We love this too.. super tender beef and really yummy!


And now the dessert part: I am hearing raves for this now let's see if I'll like it.

Caramel Custard Cream Puffs
Verdict: It's just okay for me, because I already tasted other more delicious cream puffs.

Eclair
Verdict: same as the first one, I was not wowed by is, just my ordinary Eclair.

Chocolate Truffles? sorry I forgot
Verdict: Chef said this has liquor, I did not notice. This is good. much chocolate but not too sweet.

Devil's Food Cake 
Verdict: Good thing Chef let us take home some desserts, so I am able to taste this at home. the cake is moist and not too sweet also. Just okay for me.

Strawberry Mousse Cheesecake
Verdict: I loved this, good thing I took home a slice. Nana like this too. 

Beco Cheesecake
Verdict: A cheesecake with chocolate frosting, a different take on cheesecake. Good also

 Matcha Green Tea Cheesecake
Verdict: Nana & I like this, the green tea flavor is not overpowering. Again not that sweet

Sorry, I forgot  the name of this
Verdict: This is not sweet, the cake is moist but sadly, both of us did not like this

Bluer Than Blueberry Cheesecake
Verdict: This is love.. I think this is the best cheesecake flavor that Chef has. Must try.

Mango Creme Brulee
Verdict: I am disappointed with this, I love Creme Brulee but this one is failed for me. I do not know if it is because of the long waiting time but the consistency of this is not good.

Vien Canoli (Fried Cheesecake w/ Belgian chocolate) - got from PD FB page
Verdict: This is good, I love the chocolate but I  think the older version is better.


Overall: 

Hors D' Oeuvres - There are hits and misses, just need to choose wisely.

We love the selections of main entrees that were served, but the Salmon, Prawn & Lasagna is already an upgrade (ouch). this means an add-on on their package rate.

Desserts - Again there are hits and misses and the selection is composed mostly of cheesecakes which makes it taste just the same. In my opinion, limit the selection of cheesecake to at most 2 for variety.

Did we book them? No. we are still thinking and considering other factors like styling, food selection (we love the upgrades) and the number of guest (PD's minimum pax is 150 so they can waive the SC). Though we loved the food we still need to think.



0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com